Sunday, July 27, 2008

Alterra race report

(Image stolen from Mountaingoat)


I was hoping for a good race. And, it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible, so I guess it was good. Except for the one long climb in the sun up the ski hill, this is a great course for me. Not only is it technical, I've ridden these trails enough -- including several 12 hour races -- that I should know them by heart and know the places to let the expert and comp guys to squeak by. It would have been a "great" race except I had my chain come off three times, including once in the "Small Intestine" (I think that's the name of the trail) that just took me freakin' forever to get back on. Brittany passed me after I had worked so dang hard to get in front of her and the other girls I had been somewhat near were, of course, way gone. I also went, apparently, a little too hard my first lap. Avg. HR: 186, Max HR: 200. I took a Gu my second lap and thought I was going to puke. I started bonking, a little cramping. But, I made up the hill every time and I did start catching up to April at the end. Without the heat (and playing with Christopher in the heat for an hour or so before the race), I think I could have at least come close to catching her. But, it was still a good race and I still love those trails.

With only a two-hour drive each way, a box full of toys, several books and a Sesame Street DVD, you would think I could have kept Christopher entertained. Nope. By the time we were almost home, I had told Tom we should have named him Damian after the character in "The Omen." It does not bode well for the trek to 24/9.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that I picked up my cross bike yesterday. I'm in love. It is so light and so cool looking. I also found out that I can get my mountain bike repainted at the end of the season. Yea! As long as I can get it the same beautiful color. = )

1 comment:

bubba said...

WOW!!! I did not know you had a blog........
You can run, but you can't hide.

GO GINA....GO GINA...GO GINA...